This project is located in downtown Cambridge, within close proximity to many retail and transit amenities. The current zoning permits high-density, mixed-use residential development; however, the client is working with the City to obtain approval for an increase in density to maximize the development potential.
This project is located in the Cathedraltown community of Markham, just east of Highway 404, south of Elgin Mills Road East, and north of Major Mackenzie Road East. The client is currently constructing a 6-storey condominium building. Empirical financed $11 million of the $44 million total construction loan with another private lender.
This property is located on Leslie Street in the Town of Sharon, just north of Newmarket. The client will be redeveloping the site into a three-phase project consisting of two retail buildings, stacked townhomes, and a condominium building.
This project is well located along Danforth Road, just north of the Danforth Avenue and Warden Avenue intersection in Toronto. The client is proposing to redevelop the site into a 10-storey condominium building, stacked townhomes, and freehold townhomes.
This project is ideally located along Kingston Road, just south of Eglinton Avenue East. The property is currently vacant and will be redeveloped into an 11-storey condominium building.
This project is located on Kingston Road within close proximity to the Eglinton GO Station. The site will be redeveloped into a 12-storey condominium building.
The client is currently working to obtain approvals to construct two high-rise condominiums.
This property is a large parcel close to many retail amenities. The client is currently in the process of rezoning the site to permit residential development.
The client is working toward rezoning the property to permit a high-end, mid-rise condominium building.
The client has been working with the City of Burlington to rezone the property to permit the construction of two high-rise senior-living apartment buildings.
The property has been fully approved to permit the construction of luxury townhomes.
The client is currently working through the approval process and intends to develop two high-rise condominium buildings with a total of 400 units.
The property has been fully approved to permit the construction of semi-detached homes and townhomes.
The client intends to construct high-rise condominium buildings with a total of 350 units and an emphasis on senior-living.
The client intends to construct townhouses and two high-rise condominium buildings with a total of 325 units.
The client intends to construct a high-rise condominium building with surrounding townhouses.
The client intends to construct a mid-rise condominium building with a total of 140 units.
The site is currently in the approval process to allow townhouses and two low-rise condominium buildings, after which, the client intends to sell the site to a developer.
Michael (Mickey) Baratz, CA, AMP., CPMB
- Graduated from the University of Toronto in 1973 specializing in Commerce and Finance.
- Obtained Chartered Accountant degree in 1976.
- Partner in the accounting firm of Fuller Jenks Landau from 1980 to 1988.
- Managed and developed various real estate projects in Ontario between 1988 and 1999.
- Director of Finance at Vector Financial Services Limited and Principal Broker responsible for all commercial lending (in excess of $2 billion) from 1999 to May 2017.
- Memberships, past and present include:
- CICA Institute and a variety of Committees
- Mortgage Professionals Canada
- Ontario Mortgage Brokers Association
- Ontario Ministry of Finance Task Force on Mortgage Syndication
- Hobbies and sports include spinning and boating.
Abraham (Abby) Strahl
- Immigrated to Canada in 1978 from Cape Town, South Africa. Requalified as a Canadian Chartered Accountant.
- Spent 7 years in public practice in Toronto (William Eisenberg & Co). Became Partner in 1983.
- 1985 to 1995; Joined Rudy Bratty, a prominent real estate developer and builder as CFO. Gained a wide range of direct experience in financing, negotiation, real estate acquisition, development, and leasing.
- 1996 to June 2017; Executive Vice President of a prominent single family office. Broad range of responsibilities including:
- Investment portfolio management
- Financial control and organization of a large, diversified family office
- Estate planning (in depth)
- Tax planning (broad)
- Banking and negotiation of bank facilities
- Investment experience covered a broad range of asset classes including real estate debt and equity investments
- Helped build the mortgage book from zero in 1996 to an eight-figure portfolio based on investing in discreet individual mortgages with a due diligence overlay applied to each co-lending opportunity. Experience has been built by over 20 years of hands-on experience as a steward of the family’s capital. Experienced minimal loan loss over those 20 years.
David Strahl, LL.B
Vice President – Operations416-840-6894
David is one of the founding members of Empirical Capital and as the VP of Operations, he leads the Empirical team in all facets of the business, such as managing the day-to-day operations, overseeing the underwriting, and borrower/investor relations.
Previously, David obtained his LL.B. from the University of Western Ontario and articled at a prominent litigation firm in downtown Toronto. After his articling term, he decided to pursue his passion for real estate and worked closely with Mickey Baratz to learn the private lending business.
David was originally born in Cape Town, South Africa and immigrated to Canada in 1978. He competed at the 1996 Olympic Trials in the 50-metre freestyle and attended a prestigious American university on a full swimming scholarship. In his free time, David enjoys composing music/playing guitar, working out, and watching every sport imaginable.
Corporate Administrator416-840-6896 EXT. 202
Carol-Anne joined Empirical Capital in May 2017. As Corporate Administrator, Carol-Anne thrives on the versatility that this role affords and has been an integral part of setting up Empirical’s offices. She is responsible for ensuring commercial mortgage loans are properly set-up, cultivating positive relationships with both internal and external parties, as well as ensuring mortgage-related documents for execution are accurate, complete, and processed in a timely manner. Her focus is assisting in compilation of proposals, and proofreading. She is responsible for liaison and maintaining positive relations with Empirical’s investors. Carol-Anne handles all office functions and office organization.
Carol-Anne brings more than 24 years of experience having worked for highly reputable financial and real estate companies assisting high-level and Senior Management in achieving their goals.
In addition to being a Certified Yoga instructor, Carol-Anne’s other interests include biking, walking, travelling, home décor, and learning languages.
Controller416-840-6896 EXT. 203
Victoria joined Empirical Capital in July 2017. As the Controller, Victoria is responsible for all aspects of accounting, including financial reporting, mortgage administration, and investor documentation.
Previously, Victoria worked as the Controller for a nonbank private mortgage lending company in Toronto, as an external auditor for accounting firms, and an internal auditor for a Fortune 500 company. Victoria holds a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Jinan University in China and a Master of Science in Accountancy from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in the USA. Victoria has been a fully licensed Certified Public Accountant (USA) since 2009 and a fully licensed Chartered Accountant in Canada and Ontario since 2013.
Senior Analyst416-840-6896 EXT. 204
Thomas joined Empirical Capital in June 2017 after moving from Edmonton to Toronto. As the Senior Analyst, Thomas leads the underwriting of all mortgages as well as the analysis, valuation, and risk identification of the underlying real estate.
Previously, Thomas was employed as an Analyst with a national commercial mortgage brokerage firm where he developed his mortgage underwriting and analytical skills. Thomas is a graduate of the University of Alberta where he earned his Bachelor of Commerce degree with a concentration in Finance.
Thomas was originally born and spent the early part of his childhood in Toronto. Since that time he has also lived in Halifax and Edmonton. In his free time he enjoys working out, playing soccer, and exploring the city.