Abraham (Abby) Strahl
President – CEO416-840-6893
- Immigrated to Canada in 1978 from Cape Town, South Africa. Requalified as a Canadian Chartered Accountant.
- Spent 7 years in public practice in Toronto (William Eisenberg & Co). Became Partner in 1983.
- 1985 to 1995; Joined Rudy Bratty, a prominent real estate developer and builder as CFO. Gained a wide range of direct experience in financing, negotiation, real estate acquisition, development, and leasing.
- 1996 to June 2017; Executive Vice President of a prominent single family office. Broad range of responsibilities including:
- Investment portfolio management
- Financial control and organization of a large, diversified family office
- Estate planning (in depth)
- Tax planning (broad)
- Banking and negotiation of bank facilities
- Investment experience covered a broad range of asset classes including real estate debt and equity investments
- Helped build the mortgage book from zero in 1996 to an eight-figure portfolio based on investing in discreet individual mortgages with a due diligence overlay applied to each co-lending opportunity. Experience has been built by over 20 years of hands-on experience as a steward of the family’s capital. Experienced minimal loan loss over those 20 years.
David Strahl, LL.B.
Vice President – Principal Broker416-840-6894
David is one of the founding members of Empirical Capital and as VP and Principal Broker, he leads the Empirical team in all facets of the business, such as origination, overseeing the underwriting, borrower/investor relations and day-to-day operations.
Previously, David obtained his LL.B. from the University of Western Ontario and worked at a prominent litigation firm in downtown Toronto. After a few years, he decided to pursue his passion for real estate.
David was originally born in Cape Town, South Africa and immigrated to Canada in 1978. He competed at the 1996 Olympic Trials in the 50-metre freestyle and attended a prestigious American university on a full swimming scholarship. In his free time, David enjoys composing music/playing guitar, working out, and watching every sport imaginable.
Victoria Xie, CPA, CA
Victoria joined Empirical Capital in July 2017. As the Controller, Victoria is responsible for all aspects of accounting, including financial reporting, mortgage administration, and investor documentation.
Previously, Victoria worked as the Controller for a nonbank private mortgage lending company in Toronto, as an external auditor for accounting firms, and an internal auditor for a Fortune 500 company. Victoria holds a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Jinan University in China and a Master of Science in Accountancy from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in the USA. Victoria has been a fully licensed Certified Public Accountant (USA) since 2009 and a fully licensed Chartered Accountant in Canada and Ontario since 2013.
Senior Analyst416-840-6896 EXT. 204
Thomas joined Empirical Capital in June 2017 after moving from Edmonton to Toronto. As the Senior Analyst, Thomas leads the underwriting of all mortgages as well as the analysis, valuation, and risk identification of the underlying real estate.
Previously, Thomas was employed as an Analyst with a national commercial mortgage brokerage firm where he developed his mortgage underwriting and analytical skills. Thomas is a graduate of the University of Alberta where he earned his Bachelor of Commerce degree with a concentration in Finance.
Thomas was originally born and spent the early part of his childhood in Toronto. Since that time he has also lived in Halifax and Edmonton. In his free time he enjoys working out, playing soccer, and exploring the city.
Loan Administrator416-840-6896 EXT. 203
Nithya joined Empirical Capital in January 2022. As Loan Administrator, Nithya's responsibilities include loan monitoring and compliance, and assisting our Controller with loan servicing and administrative duties. She also assists our Senior Analyst with underwriting duties as needed.
Nithya graduated from the University of Toronto with a Bachelor of Science, completed a graduate certificate in Marketing and Analytics at Centennial College, and is now a Master's candidate at the Schulich School of Business.
In her free time, she enjoys working out and playing with her dog.
Administrator & Investor Relations416-840-6896 EXT. 202
Jacki joined Empirical Capital in October 2021. As Administrator, Jacki ensures the seamless operation of the company by taking care of all office and administrative duties. She is also first point of contact for investors and manages all investors relations.
Jacki also excels in entrepreneurship. She owned and operated London Pub Co. from 2001 to 2011. Currently, Jacki owns the successful and highly respected Sea Witch Fish & Chips in Toronto.